Every day, millions of people around the world enjoy a cup or two of refreshing tea.
If one of your goals is losing weight, a cup of weight loss tea may be your answer. Whether you’re looking to lose those stubborn last 2 pounds, or you’re aiming to speed up your weight loss on the keto diet (or an alternative meal plan), drinking tea to shed fat is a safe and effective way to achieve your health goals.
Before we reveal the best tea for weight loss, let’s take a look at why healthy tea is significantly beneficial?
5 Benefits of Drinking Tea
Tea isn’t just for fancy tea parties.
Here are just a few benefits of tea drinking:
- Tea is packed with antioxidants which fight free radical damage. Free radicals are uncharged molecules which damage cells by a process named oxidative stress. Free radical damage can lead to inflammation, early signs of aging, disease, and even cancer. Unfortunately free radicals are all around us, in food, alcohol, cigarettes, pollution, and more. Increasing antioxidants within our body can help to neutralize damage caused by these molecules.
- Tea contains less caffeine than coffee. If you’re prone to anxiety or headaches, drinking less caffeine is highly recommended. Consume too much caffeine and you may experience jitters and trouble sleeping. Switch your coffee for tea instead and you’ll reap the benefits.
- Tea can help to keep you calm. Scientists have shown that an amino acid called L-theanine, found in tea, may produce an effect on brainwaves, helping you to focus better and feel more relaxed.
- Tea protects your teeth. Tea is packed with fluoride and tannins, which can reduce tooth decay.
- Tea helps you to lose weight (you probably knew this one was coming!). So, which is the best tea for fighting excess fat?
The Best Tea for Weight Loss
With a vast number of teas on the market, finding the perfect weight loss tea can be challenging. Luckily, I’ve been testing a few different weight loss teas and I think I’ve found the creme de la creme for fat burning.
Oolong Tea for Weight Loss
The best tea for weight loss is oolong tea; a traditional Chinese tea. While there are several teas you can drink for weight loss, I’ve personally found that oolong tea helps to speed up fat loss. It’s best to combine tea drinking with regular exercise and a diet plan to accelerate weight loss.
Did you know that all teas come from the Camellia Sinensis plant?
Oolong tea is produced from the bud, stems and leaves of this plant, and is often semi oxidized during processing. However, this can be between 8% to 80% oxidation levels, depending on the tea manufacturer.
Oolong tea can have a varying flavour, which depends on the level of oxidation. This is what makes oolong tea so fascinating, and why it’s delicious taste is a hit with so many people.
Some oolong teas deliver a fresh, floral and smooth flavour, while others produce a darker and sweeter taste. There’s also milk oolong tea which boasts a creamy, milky flavour without the need for added milk.
Oolong Tea Benefits for Weight Loss
No matter which oolong tea is your favorite, you can reward yourself with a multitude of benefits.
- It speeds up your metabolism. Oolong tea contains polyphenols (natural plant compounds) which are thought to boost your metabolism. Research has demonstrated that polyphenols may help your body to use stored fat for energy purposes, helping you to lose weight.
- It increases calories burned. Oolong tea has been shown to help enhance the amount of calories burned. One study found that men consuming oolong tea burned up to 3.4% extra calories per day.
- It promotes an overall reduction of body weight. A study by the University of Tokushima in 1998 on 102 female participants found that drinking oolong tea for 6 weeks contributed to overall weight loss.
- It helps to lower cholesterol levels. Drinking oolong tea can lower the bad cholesterol within your body by upregulating bad cholesterol receptors in the liver.
- It promotes a healthy digestive tract. By boosting PH levels in the digestive tract, oolong tea promotes a healthier digestive tract. Better digestion is better for losing weight.
Additional Oolong Tea Benefits
Oolong tea is a healthy tea, promoting many healthy benefits alongside weight loss. Here are just some of the additional oolong tea benefits:
- It may prevent diabetes. Oolong tea inhibits an enzyme called alpha-glucosidase, which absorbs glucose in the small intestine.
- It may improve brain functioning. As oolong tea contains caffeine, it aids alertness by preventing fatigue.
- It produces calming effects. If you’re feeling stressed, a cup of oolong tea can help to calm you. Oolong tea helps to boost serotonin levels to increase happiness.
- It may help to reduce eczema. Oolong tea decreases inflammation to promote clear, healthy skin.
- It promotes bone and tooth health. The antioxidants in oolong tea balance PH levels to inhibit bacteria in the mouth which causes tooth decay.
- It may protect against cancer. The antioxidants in oolong tea may help to fight cancer, as well as improving immunity.
Oolong Tea Nutrients
You might be wondering how much caffeine oolong tea contains, especially if you’re sensitive to caffeine.
A cup of brewed oolong tea contains 36mg of caffeine.
In addition to caffeine, a cup of brewed oolong tea contains multiple nutrients:
#RDI = recommended daily intake
- 1% of RDI of niacin
- 1% of RDI of magnesium
- 1% of RDI of sodium
- 1% of RDI of potassium
- 5-24% RDI of fluoride
- 26% of RDI of manganese
How Much Oolong Tea Should I Drink For Weight Loss?
Oolong tea is calorie free, but that doesn’t mean you should overdo it. Ideally, you should drink 2-3 cups of oolong tea each day to accelerate your weight loss.
Consume one cup in the morning at breakfast, one before lunch, and one before your evening meal.
You can easily drink oolong tea as part of your keto diet menu, or any other weight loss program.
If you’re drinking other caffeine drinks alongside oolong tea, it’s important to check your caffeine consumption. Too much caffeine may cause stomach upsets, anxiety, dehydration, insomnia, and more.
It’s best to drink oolong tea alongside water to get optimal benefits from this amazing healthy tea.
How to Brew Oolong Tea
Oolong tea is super easy to make, which is why this healthy tea is perfect for aiding your weight loss.
- Place an oolong tea bag in a tea cup or mug. If you’re using loose tea, place it into a teapot.
- Bring a pan of water to boiling point. Pour the water into your cup/mug or teapot.
- Leave the tea to steep for 3-5 minutes (or as directed on the packaging of your tea).
- Remove the tea bag and enjoy your refreshing oolong tea. If you’re using loose tea, you’ll need to strain the tea first, and then pour the tea from the pot to a cup.
Oolong Tea Recipe
Oolong + Green tea
- Place your oolong and green tea in a cup.
- Bring a pan to boiling point and pour the water into your cup.
- Leave to steep for a few minutes.
Green tea also has weight loss benefits, and combining the two teas is a delicious way to enjoy your tea.
Oolong Raspberry Iced Tea
- Place the oolong tea, a couple of frozen raspberries, a teaspoon of lemon juice and half a teaspoon of honey into a teapot.
- Bring a pan to boiling point and pour the water into a teapot.
- Leave to steep for 3-5 minutes.
- Remove the raspberries and tea bag (or strain the loose tea).
- Add ice to a large glass. Pour the tea over the ice and enjoy!
This tasty iced tea is perfect to drink in hot weather. Both honey and lemon have weight loss properties, while honey is a natural replacement for sugar.
Where to buy it
Start accelerating your weight loss journey today by drinking oolong tea. I drink milk oolong tea for a creamy taste. You can also add lemon, honey, and fruits to this tea for a tantalising flavour.